A SALUTATION USED BY SOME IN VARIOUS WAYS

A SALUTATION USED BY SOME IN VARIOUS WAYS
'FOREST THERAPY'

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

WHAT STYLE OF KARATE ARE YOU?

Over the years I have been asked this sort of question and the simple answer is: I AM NOT ANY STYLE, I AM A PERSON WHO SOMETIMES PRACTICES OR DOES KARATE. Extending this a bit, I am a person who sometimes exercises karate and on very rare occasions have used it and on other occasions have assisted others who might have some questions or notions or ideas on karate or who wanted something from me on basics,etc. All this latter can be most flattering. HOWEVER, most asking this question want to know what popular or usual style of karate I follow or practice, and also who my instructors are or were,etc. and also what schools or organizations I belonged to or still do,etc. NOW that I am at my age which, at the moment is 74, I have to consider my answer carefully because in some instances, KARATE PRACTICES ME. If anything I am in the 'school of NO STYLE' which means that I do not join or practice or follow any set routine or system or methods,etc. of any particular group, school, instructor, system, organization,etc. and merely practice by myself, for myself, and that means that I am at the point where I can dispense with all such considerations and focus actually on what I am doing and learning in such a way which is not acceptable to the mainstream and ordinary methods of training or practice or culturally conceived martial arts that most people now follow in some way. Not that I have not learned from others, been in groups or met outstanding persons and so forth, because I have but I have 'distilled' for myself what I want to do and how I do it,though I do have all kinds of references and so forth to consult should I get 'stuck' on a problem. I do not follow any particular kata or the like from any particular school or style. To understand what I am talking about readers of this blog should consult my other blogs on martial arts, such as those on esoteric ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment